Scientific-practical conference “Eastern Gate to Russia” dedicated to the 120th anniversary of the oldest in the province scientific and educational society – the Troitskosavsk-Kyakhtinsky office of the Priamursky Branch of the Imperial Russian Geographical Society took place in In Ulan-Ude and Kiakhta.
The conference was attended by members of the Russian Geographical Society, employees of Kyakhtinsky regional museum named after Academician Obrucheva, East-Siberian State University of Technology and Management, Buryat State University, scientists of Baikal Institute of Nature, Sochava Institute of Geography and Limnological Institute of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
July 13, 1894 Troitskosavsk-Kyakhta office of the Priamursky branch of the Imperial Russian Geographical Society was founded on the basis of the museum. Total number of volumes published by the Society in 1894-1961 is 18. To celebrated the anniversary date the Russian Geographical Society Branch of the Republic of Buryatia has revived the tradition of publishing after 53 years-long break. Proceedings of the conference are published in Volume XIX «Work of the Russian Geographical Society Branch in the Republic of Buryatia”.
“Please pay attention to the theme of our conference. Its name – «Eastern Gate of Russia» is no coincidence, this vector of development of the country is becoming more and more important. We, as scientists, experts, members of the Russian Geographical Society, have to give our vision for the development of Siberia and the Far East, “- said Senator of the Federation Council, Arnold Tulokhonov at he opening of the conference.
The conference discussed Geoecology, nature conservation and the environment, geo-information and map support for geographical research. In addition, most of the reports were devoted to historical and geographical research, local history, tourism, natural and cultural heritage.
In Kyakhtinsky Local History Museum grand opening of the hall, “History of geographical discoveries in Central Asia” dedicated to the 120th anniversary the Russian Geographical Society branch in the Republic of Buryatia took place. The exhibition “Legends of the Siberian Hermitage”, dedicated to the 125th anniversary of Kyahtinsky museum opened the same day. The hall was opened with the financial support of the Russian Geographical Society: Kyakhtinsky local history museum named after Obrucheva received a grant to re-exposition in 2013.
At the opening ceremony the head of the Kyakhtinsky district Buyantuev Alexander noted that «the Kyakhtins are proud of the brilliant history of their homeland, and in particular the city Kjahta, and are well aware of the founding fathers of the museum – Yulian Dominikovich Tal’ko-Grintsevich and Peter Mikhno.” The exhibition will undoubtedly be of interest not only to residents, but also visitors to the city of Kjahta.
Edward Batotsyrenov, Scientific secretary of the Russian Geographical Society in the Republic of Buryatia, Ph.D.