The Russian Geographical Society has approved the jury of the VI photo contest "The Most Beautiful Country". We maintained a special approach to its formation, which has always distinguished by our competition - the jury unites both famous Russian photographers and people from other areas of art and public life, who have their own view on the artistic value of photographs.
So, among the jury members there are musicians, Sergey Shnurov and Nikolai Rastorguev; director of the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts, Marina Loshak; famous photographers, Sergey Gorshkov and Maxim Marmur. Traditionally, the President of the Russian Geographical Society, Sergey Shoigu, also became a part of the jury.
The full jury of the VI photo contest of the Russian Geographical Society "The Most Beautiful Country":
- Konstantin Leifer, chairman of the jury;
- Sergey Shoigu, President of the Russian Geographical Society;
- Elizaveta Arzamasova, theater and film actress, TV presenter;
- Sergey Gorshkov, wildlife photographer, multiple times winner and finalist of national and international photo contests, including “Wildlife Photographer of the Year”;
- Daniil Korzhonov, landscape photographer, winner and finalist of “Best of Russia” photo contest, “Golden Turtle”, “Wildlife of Russia”;
- Ivan Kurinnoy, portrait photographer;
- Marina Loshak, director of the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts;
- Maxim Marmur, photographer, finalist of the Pulitzer Prize of 1996 and 2000, laureate of the contests of “Pictures of the Year International”, “Best of Photojournalism”;
- Elena Pakhalyuk, photographer, winner of the photo contest "The Most Beautiful Country" in 2019 in the nomination "Landscape";
- Nikolai Rastorguev, Russian musician, soloist of the “Lyube” group, people's artist of Russia;
- Sergey Shnurov, musician, producer, showman, creator and soloist of the “Leningrad” band;
- Nikolay Shulginov, chairman of the board - general director of PJSC “RusHydro”, member of the Board of Trustees of the Russian Geographical Society;
Work application for the VI photo contest "The Most Beautiful Country" started on October 14th, 2019, and will last until February 16th, 2020. That is, everyone has 7 more days to submit work to the competition. Any person without restriction on place of residence, citizenship and age can become a participant in the "Most Beautiful Country". The only condition is that photographs must be taken in Russia. To date, the competition has already received more than 35 thousand pictures.
Works are accepted in 10 nominations: "Landscape", "Wild Animals", " Macroworld ", "Underwater World", "Those Funny Animals", " Russia From a Birds Eye View ", " Many Sided Russia ", "Taken on a Smartphone ", "Live Archive” and “Photoproject”.
"Live Archive" is the new and most unusual nomination of the contest. Its participants were invited to take modern photographs repeating archival photographs of the 19th - first half of the 20th century. More than 500 source photos were selected in the archives of the Russian Geographical Society, and also provided by the partners of the competition - the TASS news agency and the Russian State Archive of Film and Photo Documents.
In addition to the 10 main nominations, a special nomination - "Water Energy of Russia" - was approved. Its partner is PJSC “RusHydro”.
Also, the "Audience Choice" award was established - its owner will be selected from among the finalists of the competition by direct voting on the Internet.
For the second year in a row, as part of the competition, a separate competition is held for young photographers up to 16 years old - "The Most Beautiful Country Through the Eyes of Children". They can send photos in four categories: "Landscape", "Animal World", "World of People" and "Macroworld".
All works submitted to the contest are first evaluated by an expert commission consisting of 12 professional photographers. They select 10 finalists in each nomination. Then an in-person meeting of the jury of the competition takes place, at which the winners in each nomination are determined. A preliminary jury meeting is scheduled for May 2020.
The prizes for the winners are 250 thousand rubles in each category of the main competition and professional cameras for young photographers.
"The Most Beautiful Country" is a large-scale Russian wildlife photography contest. Tens of thousands of people participate in it - both professionals and amateurs. Since 2015, the competition has received more than 440 thousand pictures.
The best works are shown at exhibitions in Russia and abroad.