In Sevastopol, the first stage of the museum-exhibition complex "Konstantinovskaya battery", restored by the Russian Geographical Society has been open for the visitors.
Konstantinovskaya battery is a monument of Russian fortification art and military architecture. The citadel was built to close the entrance to Sevastopol Bay to enemy ships. It is located on the northern extremity of the bay of the same name, on the cape Konstantinovsky.
The battery reflected the enemy's strikes during the first defense of Sevastopol (1854-1855), participated in the revolutionary events of 1905, stood in the days of the second defense of Sevastopol (1941-1942). On the territory of the monument there is the Brotherly grave of the defenders of the Konstantinovskaya battery, who stood to death in battles for their native land in 1942.
In 2015, for the first time since the construction, the Russian Geographical Society has embarked on a large-scale reconstruction of the citadel. To date, the basement, an observation deck, the courtyard have been restored and a number of other works have been completed. The builders reconstructed the battery according to the old blueprints provided by the Central Archive of the Russian Navy in St. Petersburg.
According to the words of the locals, the battery had been in awful condition before that moment. A few more decades, and from the fortification almost nothing would be left. The Russian Geographical Society paid much attention to the preservation of the country's historical and cultural heritage from the moment of its foundation, that is why there was taken a decision to start restoration of the citadel. The Society is planning to turn the battery into one of the main attractions of the hero city.
In honor of the solemn opening of the monument, an armored volley was given and flowers were laid to the brotherly grave of the defenders of Sevastopol. «The history of the battery is inextricably linked with the heroic names of our compatriots, Russian and Soviet soldiers, commanders of different eras - from Alexander Vasilevich Suvorov, who gave instructions on the first building of the battery, to its defenders of the Great Patriotic War. I am convinced that the opening of the complex is not only a significant event for residents and guests of Sevastopol, but also a worthy example of preserving the memory of people who undoubtedly are an example to the younger generation», - the First Vice-President of the Russian Geographical Society Arthur Chilingarov noted.
The famous polar explorer also expressed his confidence that the opening of the museum and exhibition complex will attract more attention of tourists to the history of Sevastopol and the Crimea as a whole, and will also promote people's unity.
The governor of Sevastopol Dmitry Ovsyannikov, having examined fort and museum exposition, emphasized that «…thanks to Sergey Shoygu there were allocated funds for its restoration, quickly and qualitatively there was carried out the restoration work. Now the city government is working on the issue of accessibility of the historic site for citizens and tourists: in addition to repairing the road leading to the battery, we are planning to organize a sea service».
Today in the citadel there are two exhibitions: «Konstantinovsky battery: two centuries on the guard of the Motherland» and «The history of the Russian Geographical Society in persons, photographs, facts». The first exposition is dedicated to the history of the battery from the moment of its foundation to reconstruction, the second – to the Russian Geographical Society.
Over the first two days of the complex's operation, more than ten thousand people visited it. While the museum doors are open three days a week - on Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 10.00 to 16.00. Entry by appointment (tel 8-978-94-500-85) as part of organized groups.