About the project "Arctic floating university"
A syllabus on research and development works of the Arctic Floating University has been officially signed in Roshydromet. This year’s syllabus is extended and will be composed of two passages.
The Arctic Floating University is an innovative educational project that provides an opportunity for young researchers to gain knowledge and experience in real-life environment of northern seas. Research vessel of northern Roshydromet “Professor Molchanov” will become the floating university for the project carrying time. “Professor Molchanov” is the only vessel in Europe that combines unique lab for academic pursuits realization and practical basis for the preparation of specialist researchers.
The project is carried out thanks to combined efforts of Northern (Arctic) Federal University named after M.V. Lomonosov (NArFU), The Federal Service for Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring of Russia (Roshydromet) and Arkhangelsk branch office of Russian Geographical Society.
President of the board of Trustees Vladimir Putin has awarded the grant on the Arctic Floating University to the chairman of the Arkhangelsk branch office of the Russian Geographical Society and the head of the northern Roshydromet Leonid Vasilyev. It happened during the extended meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Russian Geographical Society in St. Petersburg on April 10, 2012.
Details and results of the first semester of the Arctic Floating University you can find here.
In 2013 the syllabus of the Arctic Floating University was extended and now combines of two passages. The first passage is planned for June 1-25, 2013 via Arkhangelsk-White Sea-Barents Sea-Greenland Sea-Spitsbergen-White sea-Arkhangelsk.
The second passage is planned for July 20-26, 2013 via Arkhangelsk – White Sea – Kolguyev Island – Barents Sea – Kara Sea – Severnaya Zemlya Archipelago – Novaya Zemlya Archipelago – Arkhangelsk.
The syllabus covers two main lines: educational and research. Participants of the expedition are going to conduct research on several blocks. The first passage contain:
- Oceanic block
- Meteorological block
- Hydrochemical block
- Physiochemical block
- Seismological block
- Glaciological block
- Bio resources block
The second passage will add following blocks:
- Geophysical block
- Geographical block
- Biological block
- Psychophysiological block
- Shipbuilding block
Stand-alone work program is developed for Spitsbergen. The participants of the first passage of the Arctic Floating University will visit it in June 2013. The program includes:
- hydrochemical, glaciological and seismological researches in aquatorium and on the coast of Spitsbergen archipelago. Control points are: Barentsburg – Longyearbyen – Ny Alesund – Hot Spring, Bukfiord;
- participation in signing of an agreement for shared use of research center in Barentsburg;
- meeting with the governor of Svalbard and planning of the travelling exhibition of Victor Zvyahintsev
- visit to Spitsbergen University (UNIS);
- visit to Sverdrup research station, Norwegian Polar Institute;
- visit to “AK “Kings Bay” sealab, discussion of shared research activities on archipelago and signing of a bilateral agreement for research cooperation between NArFU and “AK “Kings Bay” on Spitsbergen archipelago and for shared utilization of scientific basis of sealab.
The syllabus is approved and signed by the head of Roshydromet A.V. Frolov and president of the NArFU E.V. Kudryashovoy.