Competition for Best Questions for Geographical Dictation - 2020
From April 13 to May 11, 2020, the Russian Geographical Society was holding a competition for the best questions for the Geographical Dictation 2020. Anyone could take part in the competition, regardless of age, place of residence and citizenship. The only condition for the competition was a belief in science and a passion for geography.
The questions that contributed to the development of interest in geography, the popularization of geographical knowledge, were accepted for the competition. Among others, the questions were welcomed on the following topics:
- 175th anniversary of the Russian Geographical Society. The geographical discoveries made by the figures of the RGS. History and modern activities of the Society.
- 200th anniversary of the discovery of Antarctica.
- Geographical names given by Russian discoverers.
- The 75th anniversary of Victory in the Great Patriotic War and the role of geographers in achieving Victory.
- Topics, one way or another related to geography, but related to other areas of human activity. For example, "Music and Geography", "Painting and Geography", etc.
All questions that had been submitted for the competition were sent for examination. It is carried out by professional geographers and scientists representing related sciences (historians, biologists, art historians, etc.). The experts will determine the best questions that will appear on the Dictation forms.
- Tatiana Pozdnyakova (Voronezh)
- Kirill Likhachev (Kirov)
- Nadezhda Ostapenko (Nyuksenitsa village, Vologda region)
The authors of each question included in the Dictation will receive a certificate from the leadership of the RGS and a promotional code with a 10% discount for the online store of the Society. The authorship of the questions will be indicated in all materials of the Dictation. In addition, a trip to Moscow is waiting for the author of the most interesting question (it will be determined by the experts of the competition). At the expense of the RGS, he or she will be invited to Moscow to the central venue of the Dictation, where he or she will be able to write it together with famous scientists, travelers, public figures.